Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Hawaii Safe Travels

Months before our trip to Hawaii to visit Michele, I created an account for myself and another one for Joanne on the Hawaii Safe Travels website. I entered the required personal information, vaccination details and uploaded an image of the vaccination card for each of us. Next, I created a trip record with the details for our flight, Hawaii address and contact information.

Within 24 hours of departure, one completes a health questionnaire on the website. Surprise, the date of last flu vaccination was required to complete questionnaire. We were in California and our records were in Florida, fortunately on-line at Millennium (our doctor's practice). I suppose I could have just made up a date, but I didn't want to do that.

Our orange wrist bands
Upon completion of the questionnaire , a "QR" code will be emailed to you. It will also be added to your trip record. Well, my "QR" did not show up on my phone probably due to some way my phone is set up. However, Joanne's showed up without a hitch on her phone! Unsure of our smartphones, I printed out our trip records that now included the "QR" code.
At the Oakland airport, checking in for our flight required for each of us, our driver's license, "QR" code, and COVID vaccination record. The clerk actually photographed our cards! With all of our paper work complete, each of us were fitted with an orange wrist band. Not sure what the wrist band is all about, but I think this speeds your passing through the airport upon arrival in Hawaii.




BUT, We were not done! We were required to open our Hawaii Safe Travels accounts by the rental car clerk to show that we're vaccinated before we could get our rental car.
OOPs, You are not done yet! Masks are required to be worn in indoor public places in the state of Hawaii. Violators are arrested!
Sounds like a lot but it is really quick and simple. A You Tube video explains the Safe Travels program.
You can also enter Hawaii via a negative COVID test administered by a provider approved by Hawaii. The test must taken within 72 hours of your departure and the result must be available before you board your plane. But why would you when the vaccination is so SAFE and readily available?



No comments: