Monday, June 22, 2015

Espanola, Galapagos


Early Morning Kayaking 


We awoke bright and early - 5:00 AM - and enjoyed wonderful kayaking in Gardner Bay on an island called Espanola.  A few blue footed boobies and marine iguanas hung out on the cliffs and a sea lion checked out the kayaks.   We then headed back for breakfast. 

A Snorkeling Tragedy 

After a snorkeling briefing, we boarded the zodiacs for a wonderful time - except, a tragedy occurred.  One of the passengers, a lady of 65, was founded dead in the water!  It was so sad.  Her husband was supposed to be her buddy in the snorkeling and he became preoccupied picture taking.  No one knows what happened, but we suspect she had a heart attack.  We now have to go back to the island of San Cristobal and the Ecuadorian police are here taking her and her husband off the boat and doing an investigation. 

We are so sad for them.  We are waiting to see what happens next.  The crew hopes to continue the voyage. We went to the beach

Post script

The authorities picked up the man and his deceased wife and they flew home to Illinois. (They put her in a beautiful wood coffin with a large cross on it.) We then continued the voyage.   

Getting it Wrong and Getting Lucky Again


Today was not a good day for my photography.  Perhaps there just wasn't enough light for my little point and shoot camera I carried for the early morning kayaking. All my photos were terrible.  Snorkeling, my underwater photos were worse. The battery in my GoPro was dead.  A water drop on the lens of the little camera spoiled most of my photos of the sea lions on the beach.  Live and learn.

We were supposed to buddy together, Joanne and I while snorkeling.  But I got a little behind taking photos and then the heel strap on one my fins came completely off.  I tread water for while getting the strap back on and when I looked up Joanne was gone.  I looked around and couldn't see here anywhere. Our group including Joanne and our guide had quickly moved far down the shore as they followed sea lions. Joanne had one of her best days snorkeling ever. I wasted a lot of time looking for her.  For the rest of the trip, we did better at budding-up.


Expedition Report


Sea Lions Enjoying the Beach








No comments: