Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Marina Jack at Sarasota


Since the winds were not favorable for an outside passage on the Gulf, the club decided to "motor sail" up the Intercoastal Waterway (ICW) to Sarasota. We encountered lots of bastule bridges along the way, which required us to call the bridge tendors on our Marine Radio Channel 9 for openings. Along the way we chatted with the skipper of Quebecca, a 20 ft red hulled sailboat that had just won a trophy at the Columbus Day Regatta at Key Biscayne. He was triumphantly returning home and invited us to visit him at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron docks.


Our friends, Marilyn & John Jorgensen, on Blue Goose caught up with us and we decided to splurge and go into the magnificent Sarasota Marina Jack Marina. There's a beautiful fountain with dophins framing the entranceway with very nice facilities. The rest of the club anchored outside the marina and joined us for dinner at the Tiki Hut Restaurant.

Upon return, I (Joanne) fell backwards going down the step ladder into the main salon. I don't remember falling, but Richard told me I was unconscious and unresponsive for 5 minutes! He ran over to get help from our friends and they got me up, called a cab and got me to Sarasota General Hospital Emergency Room. They did a CAT Scan and cautioned me that I had a concussion. Fortunately, I recovered well with just a few dizzy spells!

No comments: