Saturday, May 9, 2009

Key Biscayne

Today was a day for misadventures! Read on. But first, last night we enjoyed a full moon over Sands Key.



















Now, for today's story. As we motored out of the Sands Key anchorage, despite having waypoints , channel marks on the water and my track into the anchorage on the computer screen, when Joanne announced that Cantagree was "Way over there," I ordered a turn toward them into shallow water that almost put us aground. I just lost confidence in myself despite all the navigation aids at hand. Actually they were on course behind us, it just didn't look that way. A warning from Cantagree put us back on course.

We headed out to the ICW and up to Crandon Park Marina at Key Biscayne for diesel, gas, water, garabage disposal and a pumpout. In retrospect, Saturday was not the best day to visit a fuel dock. It was a busy dock. After some delays, we got in and out but not before I tripped over my shoelace and fell into the anchor locker howling like a banchee. I was OK. We didn't hit anybody or anything.


Back on the water, I got confused as to the anchoring spot and wandered about a bit. We couldn't spot Cantagree (They fueled and left before us.) and Two if by Sea in the crowded anchorage. After being out in the keys for awhile, I forgot what the big city is like! Over a hundred, mostly powerboats, are anchored here. It looks like one could walk from boat to boat without getting wet.

All in all, we didn't hit anybody or anything. We didn't sink the boat. We got gas, diesel, water (I love fresh water.) and a pumpout. Plus, we got rid of the garbage. We are anchored in a beautiful spot with a view of the Miami skyline. The weather is wonderful. So I guess, we will call it a good day, afterall.

No comments: